Experience History Like Never Before
For K12 schools, teachers can choose from several ways to experience curriculum-based, hands-on programs. Take a class onsite at The Hermitage with our Hands-On History options, online via our RACHEL web conference program or in class with a Traveling Classroom at your educational institution.
An onsite field trip to Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage invites K12 students and educators to engage with the exhibitions, landscape and historic buildings of The Hermitage to enhance understandings and build on classroom experiences. A typical visit includes self-guided tours of the exhibitions, grounds, historic outbuildings and film as well as a guided tour of the Hermitage mansion.
We know arranging buses, lunches and chaperones is a tough task. Let us bring a quality education program to your class with our Traveling Classroom. Programs include DBQ exercises, artifact exploration, inquiry, play and facilitated dialogue.
RACHEL, Award-Winning Program
Programs marked with an asterisk (*) are available through our Reinforcing American History through Electronic Learning (RACHEL) program. A web conference includes a Hermitage educator delivering 45-50 minutes of award-winning content right into your classroom. Programs include DBQ exercises, visual thinking strategies, inquiry and facilitated dialogue. Click on the program titles below for curriculum standards, pre- and post-field trip activities and more. Programs can be delivered via Google Meet, Microsoft Teams or Zoom.
RACHEL has received the CILC’s Pinnacle Award for excellence in program delivery.
K12 Education Programs
We encourage groups to enhance their visit with award-winning, curriculum-based programs. Programs include DBQ exercises, artifact exploration, inquiry, play and facilitated dialogue. Currently, 15 curriculum-based programs are available for all grades, K-12. Click on the links for curriculum standards, pre- and post-field trip activities and more. Programs marked with a hashtag (#) are available to come to you!
What You Need To Know
Know Before You Come!
- You will be sent a property map as well your itinerary in advance. PLEASE share this information with your teachers, chaperones and bus drivers before arriving!
- Areas like the classroom and the mansion are too small for your entire group to remain together at all times. Your group will be divided into smaller teams to rotate through all the activities. This will help maximize your time and enjoyment. Please plan your small groups accordingly.
- The itinerary will give you a time to GET IN LINE at the mansion. You can expect a brief wait before entering the mansion. The mansion admits approximately 12 people per tour, every eight minutes. If you miss your mansion line time, we may not be able to accommodate you at a later time.
Know Before You Book!
- Our staff will work with you to create an itinerary based on your timeframe.
- May and October are our busiest months. They often fill up as early as January and July.
- Field trips are held rain or shine. Rain dates will not be held. If severe weather prevents you from coming, we will reschedule you.
- A 20% deposit must be paid to reserve the date. The remainder of payment is due seven days before your arrival. No refunds will be given, so be careful with your head count!
- Chaperones are limited to one adult per ten K-8th students or one adult to every 20 9th-12th students. This includes teachers, staff, and paraprofessionals. If additional adults are needed, please contact us to discuss.
Know Upon Arrival!
- Hermitage Educators will greet each bus, review the museum manners and direct bus unloading. PLEASE do not release students from the bus until instructed.
- Student backpacks must remain on the buses. Teacher/staff backpacks will be tagged with a green band to indicate they have been approved.
- Chaperones need to offload the lunches from the buses and place them at your designated picnic area. Staff will direct them to the location.
- At least one adult must accompany every group of students through the mansion.
For more information, please see our Teachers’ Guide to The Hermitage.
Program Fees for the 2022-23 school year.
One Title 1 Classroom$60/Web Conference
One Classroom$95/Web Conference
5-Title 1 Classroom Package$300/Web Conference
5-Classroom Package$450/Web Conference
Title 1 schools$5/Title 1 schools
K12 students$7/K12 student
Hands on History
New for 2023-24: Groups will be limited to ONLY one adult per ten students (K-8th) or one adult per twenty students (9th-12th). If additional adults are needed (aides, nurses, administrators, drivers, etc.), please contact [email protected] for more information.
Title 1 schools$7/student
Junior Docent Program$13/student
High School/College students$14/student