Hermitage Staff Spotlight: Ray Baker
Every month, we want to introduce you to one of our amazing staff members and give more insight on what it’s like to work at Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage! This month, we are spotlighting Ray Baker who is part of our External Affairs team.
- What is your job title?
- Vice President of Development
- How long have you worked at The Hermitage?
- Since July 31, 2017
- Can you describe what you do in a few sentences?
- As part of the site’s Development team, I work alongside our generous donors to secure gifts for the site’s general operation as well as targeted preservation projects and education programs. We are fortunate to have a large network of benefactors who are deeply invested in the site’s success. Like our visitors, members and volunteers, our donors are vital to the continued growth of The Hermitage! My job is fun because I get to connect great people with great opportunities to support and preserve history.
- How did you come to work at The Hermitage?
- I responded to an online job posting, thought for sure I wouldn’t get it, and then I got it.
- What is your favorite thing about working here?
- History has always interested me, and Andrew Jackson is a fascinating historical figure to study. To help grow interest and investment in a site so accurately preserved, so historically important, and so culturally relevant is very rewarding.
- What is something that surprised you about working at The Hermitage?
- Daily standoffs with wild turkeys in the parking lot.