Staff Spotlight – Ashley Underwood
Every month, we introduce one of our amazing staff members and give more insight on what it’s like to work at Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage. This month, we are spotlighting Ashley Underwood, our Development Information Manager.
How long have you worked for The Hermitage?
- I started at The Hermitage mid-October 2021, so I have been here for right at six months.
What is your title?
- I am the Development Information Manager.
Describe what you do in a few sentences.
- I am a fundraising officer specializing in data management. I am responsible for gift entry, donor acknowledgement and the management of our membership program. On top of that, I also manage our data standards and ensure the integrity of our reporting.
How did you come to work at The Hermitage?
- A friend let me know that The Hermitage was looking for a fundraising officer with data management experience, so I applied for the position and am lucky enough to have gotten it!
What is your favorite thing about working at The Hermitage?
- I have a list of favorite things! I work with the most amazing and supportive team, I am surrounded by history every day, and I truly enjoy watching our guests learn new things and appreciate the history. It’s very important that we tell the full story, and the staff at The Hermitage does such a remarkable job of that. I also love the wildlife here!
What is something that has surprised you about working at The Hermitage?
- I think I was most surprised by the number of original pieces we have on display in the mansion. As a history nerd, I was blown away that around 90 percent of what is on display is original to the Jackson family.