Staff Spotlight – Jim Horwath
Every month, we introduce one of our amazing staff members and give more insight on what it’s like to work at Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage. This month, we are spotlighting Jim Horwath, our Deputy Chief of Security.
How long have you worked at The Hermitage?
- I have worked at The Hermitage since February 2012. This will be my 11th year.
Describe what you do in a few sentences.
- My official title is Deputy Chief of Security. I assist the Chief of Security with all of his duties. I train all of the new hires for security. Security at The Hermitage is the only department that runs 24 hours. I work security on the weekends and act as a liaison between all of the departments. I’m the guy who gets a call any time there is an emergency or if a building needs to be unlocked and the disarmed. When I first started at The Hermitage, I did event security for weddings as well.
What is your favorite part about working at The Hermitage?
- The guests that visit The Hermitage throughout the year. I love getting to meet and talk with all the people that come to visit the home of the 7th President.
What is one thing that has surprised you about working at The Hermitage?
- The many new faces that have joined the team at The Hermitage in the last six months. The team has really grown, and it takes a lot of people to keep The Hermitage running! All the new staff bring it a new way of operating that is advancing The Hermitage.
What is one of your favorite hobbies?
- Fishing is my main hobby. I love to be out fishing during the week when I am off.