Staff Spotlight – Laurie Erickson
Every month, we introduce one of our amazing staff members and give more insight on what it’s like to work at Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage. This month, we are spotlighting Laurie Erickson, our museum store manager.
How long have you worked at The Hermitage?
- I have worked at The Hermitage since July 1, 2021.
Describe what you do in a few sentences.
- As the Manager of The Hermitage Museum Store, the central focus of my job is resourcing a curated collection of merchandise that entices our guests to purchase something that’s meaningful to them and to remember their visit to The Hermitage. I also work with and manage an incredible staff at The Museum Store.
What is your favorite part about working at The Hermitage?
- My favorite part about working at The Hermitage is the honor I feel to be a part of the place Andrew Jackson called home and learning about him and this beautiful site. I also enjoy being a part of every guest’s experience. I do my best to have merchandise in the store that is meaningful and/or relative to our history that visitors want to take home with them to remember their visit.
What is one thing that has surprised you about working at The Hermitage?
- One thing that surprised me about working at The Hermitage is learning more about Andrew Jackson and the many aspects of his character. When I see and continue to learn about Andrew Jackson, I am inspired that despite such a heart-wrenching and impoverished beginning, he overcame, forged ahead and accomplished so much in one lifetime.
What is one of your favorite hobbies?
- One of my favorite hobbies is hiking the beautiful Tennessee hiking trails (specifically waterfall hikes) with my favorite person in the world.